Saturday, November 10, 2012

Seeing the Moon Rise

I remember the very first time I watched the moon rise. I was 14 years old and a Counselor in Training (C.I.T.) at Girl Scout Camp Okitayakani outside of Cuthbert, Georgia. I went down to the dock on the lake one night just to sit there and watch it.

I can't remember watching the moon rise since then, but I do notice the moon almost every night. I don't think most people even realize that the moon does in fact rise, just like the sun. Regardless, here are 2 time lapse photos showing the moon rising, one from the northern hemisphere and one from the southern hemisphere.
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Masterton, New Zealand

Kind of cool. I never thought about it but it does make sense that the moon would appear to rise differently in either hemisphere.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't know if you'll ever see this comment, since it's been nearly five years since this post, but what a nice memory. There was something magic about Camp Okit. There were many nights I, too, would wander down to the lake to sit on the dock in the light of the moon. I loved how it would reflect off the water. I loved how, when you swept your flashlight across the surface of the lake, you could see the reflection of alligator's eyes out in the middle and other side of the lake. That's when I would freak out a little and run back to my cabin. :-)

Great to see your face again, PollyWog. Hope you're doing well!

"Goofy"