Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Orchestras

I admit it. I was a band kid.

I played the B flat Clarinet:
The B flat Bass Clarinet: 
The B flat Contrabass Clarinet:
(Yes, that is really how tall they are. Now imagine a 5' 2" or so 8th grade girl with one. Hilarious, right?!)

And the E flat Contrabass Clarinet:

My mother also started taking me to see the orchestra when I was about 8 and I begged her to take me. Yeah. 8. Not 18. 8. My music teacher, Ms. Berry, was teaching us about music instruments or the orchestra or something at Lincoln Elementary School in Albany, GA and I got it in my head that I should go. So I badgered my poor mother into taking me. It was a late night, and I was awake way past my bedtime. And I fell asleep. My mom or the applause woke me. I don't remember which. I just remember loving it while I was awake. And it became one of my favorite things.

I started playing music under the tutelage of Ms. Eartha Watkins at Highland Middle School also in Albany, GA. I learned all but the E flat Contrabass from her.  I stayed after school every day to practice. I was diligent... and also, because I couldn't get the B flat Contrabass on the school bus. My mom had to pick me up and take me every day in my grandmother's old Chevy Malibu.

But this will remain the symphony of my childhood.

Give them a listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAsya6t_G3w

No comments: